Effective from 25th May 2018
1 Who we are
Affinity (Shipping) LLP ("we", "us", "our") respects your privacy and values the trust you place in us when you share your personal information with us. This policy sets out how we, as data controller, collect and use your personal information, why we use it, with whom we share it, the rights to which you may be entitled and your choices about our use of your personal information.
This policy covers our use of your personal information arising from use of this website as well as using our services.
If you have any questions or need any further clarity please get in touch. Contact details are set out below.
2 Your information
We collect certain types of information from, or about, you throughout our interaction with you and third parties. We use this information for the activities we have listed in the table below.
2.1 What we collect
2.1.1 Information that you give us if you contact us via email or telephone or write to us, or by filling in forms on our website. This includes information you provide when you register to use our website, subscribe to any service on our website, participate in discussion boards or other social media functions on our website, enter a survey or when you report a problem with our website. Such information may include:
- Your name
- Your email address
- Your address
- Your phone number
- Details of your organisation
- Information provided as part of your account with us such as your password and account settings and preferences
- Your payment details
- Details of your communications with us
2.1.2 Information about the way you use our services including:
- The services that we've provided
- When and where you've purchased our services
- What you paid and how
- Whether you've opened electronic communications from us
- Whether you've clicked on links in electronic communications from us
2.1.3 Information that we collect through your use of our website including:
- Device information such as operating system, unique device identifiers, the mobile network system
- Hardware and browser settings
- Date and time of requests
- The requests you make
- The pages you visit and search engine terms you use
- Traffic data, location data, weblogs and other communication data
- IP address
2.1.4 Information that we collect incidentally from other sources or public sources, including:
- Information available in the media
- Information presented on our social media timelines
- Information collected by security systems
2.2 How we use it
2.1.1 We use this information for certain activities, including to:
- Provide you with information or content (such as market reports) you have requested
- Provide our services to you
- Set up your account
- Tell you about the services we can offer
- Answer any issues or concerns
- Monitor customer communications for quality and training purposes
- Develop new services
- Improve our services
- Personalise our service
- Identify how you'd like to use your account
- Notify you about important changes or developments to our website or services
- Take payment from you and for billing purposes
2.1.2 We use this information for certain activities, including to:
- Develop new services
- Improve our services
- Identify services and marketing that may be of interest to you
- Personalise our service of things you're interested in and how you use our services
- Statistical analysis and research
2.1.3 We use this information for certain activities, including to:
- Improve our website and ensure that content is presented in the most effective manner for you and your computer
- Identify issues with the website and user's experience of it
- Route the requested web page to your computer for viewing and provide you with access to our website
- Administer our website, including troubleshooting, data analysis, testing, research, statistical and survey purposes
- Monitor the way our website is used
- Allow you to participate in interactive features of our service when you choose to do so
- Keep our website safe and secure
2.1.4 We use this information for certain activities, including to:
- Maintain market awareness
- Build and maintain social media branding
- Provide security to our sites
3 Why we collect and how long we keep your information
We collect and use your information for a variety of reasons. We need some information to enter into and perform our contract with you – for example your contact and payment details.
Some information is processed because you've given your consent to that, which can be withdrawn by contacting us using the details below.
Other information we collect because we have legitimate business interests, for example, in:
- Understanding how our customers use our services and website
- Understanding and responding to customer feedback and enquiries
- Researching and analysing the services our customers want
- Improving our services
- Understanding the type of services our customers buy and how they use them
- Personalising our offers so we're better able to provide offers and ideas that are relevant to you
- Maintaining a public profile on both traditional and social media
- Developing and maintaining relationships with vendors, partners and other companies and dealing with individuals who work for them in our sector
We will keep your information for as long as it is reasonably necessary. It will depend on factors such as the length of our contract with you and whether we are continuing to provide our services to you. We will also routinely refresh our information to ensure we keep it up-to-date.
Your personal information may also be processed if it is necessary on reasonable request by a law enforcement or regulatory authority, body or agency or in the defence of a legal claims. We will not delete personal information if relevant to an investigation or a dispute. It will continue to be stored until those issues are fully resolved.
4 Information we share
There are certain circumstances where we may transfer your personal data to employees, contractors and to other parties.
- We may share information about you with other members of our group of companies so we can provide the best service across our group.
- We may also share your information with certain contractors or service providers. They may process your personal data for us. Examples include providers of cloud services, analytics, email and marketing services. These are:
- Amazon Webservices
- Our suppliers and service providers will be required to meet our standards on processing information and security. The information we provide them, including your information, will only be provided in connection with the performance of their function.
Your personal information may be transferred to other third party organisations in certain scenarios:
- If we're discussing selling or transferring part or all of our business – the information may be transferred to prospective purchasers under suitable terms as to confidentiality.
- If we are reorganised or sold, information may be transferred to a buyer who can continue to provide services to you.
- If we're required to by law, or under any regulatory code or practice we follow, or if we are asked by any public or regulatory authority – for example the Police.
- If we are defending a legal claim your information may be transferred as required in connection with defending such claim.
Your personal data may be shared if it is made anonymous and aggregated, as in such circumstances the information will cease to be personal data.
5 Where your information will be held
When we share your information your information may be transferred outside the European Economic Area (EEA). Whenever we transfer your personal data out of the EEA, we ensure a similar degree of protection is afforded to it by ensuring at least one of the following safeguards is implemented:
- We will only transfer your personal data to countries that have been deemed to provide an adequate level of protection for personal data by the European Commission.
- Where we use certain service providers, we may use specific contracts approved by the European Commission which give personal data the same protection it has in Europe.
- Where we use providers based in the US, we may transfer data to them if they are part of the Privacy Shield which requires them to provide similar protection to personal data shared between the Europe and the US.
Please contact us at [email protected] if you want further information on the specific mechanism used by us when transferring your personal data out of the EEA.
6 Your rights
We've listed the rights you have over your information and how you can use them below.
These rights will only apply in certain circumstances. They will generally not be available if there are outstanding contracts between us, if we are required by law to keep the information or if the information is relevant to a legal dispute
- You can remove consent, where you have provided it, at any time.
- You can ask us to confirm if we are processing your information.
- You can ask for access to your information.
- You can ask to correct your information if it's wrong.
- You have a right to be forgotten and you can ask that our systems stop using your information.
- You can ask us to restrict how we use your information.
- You can ask us to help you move your information to other companies. To help with that, you have a right to ask that we provide your information in an easily readable format to another company.
- You can ask us to stop using your personal information, but only in certain cases.
- You have the right to complain to the relevant supervisory authority.
7 How to contact us
If you have any questions about this policy
please contact: [email protected] or call +44 (0)203 142 0100,
or write to us at 44th Floor The Leadenhall Building, 122 Leadenhall Street, London, EC3V 4AB.
8 Changes to the policy
This policy will be changed from time to time.
If we change anything important about this policy (the information we collect, how we use it or why) we will highlight those changes at the top of the policy and provide a prominent link to it for a reasonable length of time following the change.
You can contact us for previous versions of this policy by getting in touch at the following email address: [email protected].
We are committed to keeping your personal information safe. We've got physical, technical and administrative measures in place to prevent unauthorised access or use of your information.